Sunday, September 7, 2008

TEACHING OF MATHS AND SCIENCE IN ENGLISH: Crawling back under the tempurung

I just read an interview that NST journalists had with Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris lecturer Professor Datuk Dr Isahak Haron. He advocates a reversion from English to BM for Maths and Science.

As a voter, I'm tired of a government that is unable to get its priorities right. As a parent, I'm tired of having my kids shunted into one silly syllabus to another by an utterly ineffective and heavily politicised Ministry of Education.

Malaysia is too obssessed with hardware, building schools, buying computers, building corridors... but there is zero understanding of the software, the human capital. I read what these guys say about the importance of human capital. But I don't see it in the schools. I don't see it in the new graduates whom I have interviewed.

And, now they want the medium of instruction for Maths and Science to go back to BM. It's really a case of crawling back under the tempurung.

Anyway, if you don't feel to depressed, read the NST interview here. It also carries links to a PDF document of the report prepared by the fella who was interviewed.

No comments: