Monday, May 11, 2009

Mending Wall


Here's a pertinent verse from Robert Frost's poem, Mending Wall that is relevant for Malaysians in recent times:

Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence.

And,

One on a side. It comes to little more:
There where it is we do not need the wall:
He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
My apple trees will never get across
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
He only says, 'Good fences make good neighbors'.

Read the entire poem here.

There's a useful analysis of the poem here.

Pix from here.

2 comments:

Kama At-Tarawis said...

Just to say I have always liked this beautiful poem (and many others) by Frost...

de minimis said...

Me, too, Kak. Somehow his lyrical words just resonates so well with many of us. That's the man's greatness.