Tuesday, October 14, 2008

MCA Debate Tonite Cancelled

I am very disappointed to read in Malaysiakini MCMC bans live telecast of MCA debate that the MCA Debate between deputy presidential hopefuls, Dr Chua Soi Lek and Donald Lim, scheduled for 8.30 p.m. tonight on NTV7 has been cancelled.
.
Instead, NTV7 says, the debate will be recorded and submitted to the Censorship Board for approval for telecast at a later date. Apparently there was a letter from the MCMC which states that the application from the TV station for permission to air the debate live came too late and was therefore rejected.
.
Most people, me included, are not aware that the MCMC, a government agency under the Energy, Water and Communications Ministry, has the power to not only regulate matters relating to communications and multimedia activities but, also private TV and radio stations.

Killed by bureaucratese.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello CTChoo

Just popping by to say hi cos I see your comments around blogospheer and thought I'd discover for myself who is CTChoo.

Like you, I was looking forward to the debate but alas, as I half expected, it was not to be.

As always, certain quarters will look for loopholes to advance their private agenda and protect that of some people.

Happy blogging and all the best to you!

de minimis said...

Thanks for the courtesy call. Your visits would be most welcome.