Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Why I am proud to be Selangorian

Monarchs are a dignified element within the constitutional superstructure. I have written pieces on constitutional law so technical and boring that I am surprised medical researchers have not extolled such pieces as having medicative value for patients with sleep disorders. Click here for sleep inducement.

Most of those pieces have dealt with the role of the monarchy in Malaysia within the context of the Federal Constitution. In each, I have attempted to articulate the importance of the monarchy as a dignified element that has continued relevance in tempering the volatility of Malaysia politics.
http://www.scotstamps.co.uk/images/CWI%207/State_of_Selangor_Ensign.jpg.
Walter Bagehot has written, and here, I will challenge your ability to stay awake with this:

To state the matter shortly, the sovereign has, under a constitutional monarchy such as ours, three rights – the right to be consulted, the right to encourage, the right to warn. And a king of great sense and sagacity would want no others. He would find that his having no others would enable him to use these with singular effect. He would say to his minister, “The responsibility of these measures is upon you. Whatever you think best must be done. Whatever you think best shall have my full and effectual support. But you will observe that for this reason and that reason what you propose to do is bad; for this reason and that reason what you do not propose is better. I do not oppose, it is my duty not to oppose; but observe that I warn.” Supporting the king to be right, and to have what kings often have, the gift of effectual expression, he could not help moving his minister. He might not always turn the course, but he would always trouble his mind.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/05/Coat_of_arms_of_Selangor_state.svg/419px-Coat_of_arms_of_Selangor_state.svg.png.
And now, I give you HRH Sultan of Selangor's perspective on the political nonsense that taints us all and, other current affairs.

6 comments:

Pat said...

Congratulations on being a Selangorian, CT!

Your Sultan, who was mine, is a sage ruler. I agreed with most of what he says.

And your earlier bit about the function of a king in a constitutional mornachy is often forgotten. With a strong, intelligent and just king, every elected rep would think a hundred times before putting a document before him for his signature. A vital and effective 'check and balance' that so many talk about nowadays.

I've always admired the Sultan of Selangor. Whenever he's said something, it always struck me as so 'real': no lofty asides divorced from reality from him. A very real man, with a real and sound knowledge of the needs of his people.

Cheers,

Pat

Jarod said...

I am proud of being a Selangorian~!!

Well said. poking so much sense. But now, will the moron understand what he say?

de minimis said...

Hi Pat

:)

Jarod

Which "moron" are u talking about?

Unknown said...

I am proud to be born a Penangite and now a Selangorian!

Daulat Tuanku! Daulat Tuanku! Daulat Tuanku!

Jarod said...

Those that YDPA have mention being ignorant and not doing a proper job, but keep on talking nonsense.

Ridzzy said...

Im a proud Selangorian too. I love our Sultan. I love his take on current issues at state and national level made me smile today while reading it over breakfast..